2010 MILWAUKEE/NARI HOME IMPROVEMENT SHOW TO FEATURE SPECIAL ATTRACTIONS
MILWAUKEE, WI -- An enhanced Outdoor Living Area, the Solar Decathlon Meltwater Project house, the Uptown Ford Lincoln Mercury Vehicle Display, and an Interior Design Contest between local colleges are some of the attractions at the 48th annual Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Show at the Wisconsin Exposition Center at State Fair Park in West Allis, Thurs., Feb. 11, through Sun., Feb. 14.
The Show’s Outdoor Living Area will be arranged as a neighborhood subdivision, with landscaping, hardscaping, water features, and four playhouses constructed in different styles. The playhouses, built by students from Bradley Tech High School (Colonial), Franklin High School (Cape Cod), Milwaukee Area Technical College – Downtown Campus (Bungalow), and Waukesha County Technical College (Tudor), will also be prizes in the Milwaukee/NARI Foundation raffle.
The following Milwaukee/NARI members are participating in the Outdoor Living Area construction:
• Aquatica LLC – a disappearing waterfall that will inspire memories of what it was like to be a kid. The display will include a sculpted bronze statue of two little boys playing on a ladder with a garden hose dripping. A unique piece of art, water feature, and garden accent for a variety of landscape settings.
• Breezy Hill Nursery, Inc. – landscaping and hardscaping in conjunction with the Colonial playhouse and construction of the brick walkway around the waterfall area.
• Milt Charno & Associates, Inc. – wood walkway.
• Exteriors Unlimited Landscape Contractors, Inc. – landscaping and hardscaping in conjunction with the Cape Cod playhouse, including a decorative paver patio surrounded by colorful plantings, fragrant flowers, and a small bubbling water feature.
• Ground Affects Landscaping, Inc. – landscaping and hardscaping in conjunction with the Tudor playhouse that will feature Unilock Brussels Dimensional Block, raised planters, and seat walls to create multiple levels and brick pavers to compliment and accent the playhouse colors. One of the patios will have a raised fire pit, while the other patio will have a small water feature. Plantings will include a Birch tree and spring blooming bulbs.
• Trees on the Move – landscaping and hardscaping in conjunction with the Bungalow playhouse.
The Meltwater House, the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee’s entry in the U.S. Department of Energy’s 2009 Solar Decathlon competition, will be on display at the Home Improvement Show near the Seminar & Demonstration Stage in the southeast corner of the exhibit hall. Held October 8 – 16, 2009 in Washington, D.C., the Solar Decathlon featured 20 teams from colleges around the world who built houses representing the best blend of design aesthetics, modern conveniences, maximum energy products, and optimal efficiency. Meltwater, a carbon-neutral and solar-powered house design, takes its name and is modeled from the landforms that resulted after the melting during Wisconsin’s glacial period. The home’s multi-functional and sustainable components are intended to adapt to the changing needs of its inhabitants. Designed as a self-sufficient ancillary unit to an existing house, the project also showcases the socioeconomic benefits to multi-generational living.
The following are some of the sustainable components used on the home:
• FSC-certified lumber used as siding, interior flooring, decking, moulding, and window components.
• High-performance glass in several awning windows and folding doors.
• Cabinets made from Plyboom, which is made from bamboo (a sustainable grass).
• BIOFIBER Wheatboard, made from the stems and stalks of wheat stubble, was used in place of standard drywall.
• Countertops, tabletops, windows, and exterior doors were made of PaperStone, a composite of 100% post-consumer recycled paper and petroleum-free phenolic resins, the material is resistant to ice, snow, heat, and water.
Attendees will have an opportunity to serve as judges of an Interior Design Contest, which will pit students from Gateway Technical College, the Milwaukee Area Technical College Downtown Campus, the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design, and Waukesha County Technical College creating a meditation room display. Each participating school will decorate a 12’ x 12’ space, receiving $500 to complete the display. Milwaukee/NARI member Pekel Construction & Remodeling, Inc., will provide and construct the drywall for the room displays. The participating schools will each receive $1,000 for the school’s interior design program.
Providing attendees with a central location to learn about the various components of the country’s largest home improvement council, the Milwaukee/NARI Information Center will have members from different areas of the association, including Membership, Education/Certification, and the Milwaukee/NARI Foundation, the association’s charitable arm. At least one of the association’s Certified Professionals will be in the Information Center at all times to answer consumer inquiries relating to home improvement and remodeling.
The latest 2010 Ford and Lincoln cars and trucks will be shown inside the expo center in the Uptown Ford Lincoln Mercury Vehicle Display, including the Ford Transit Connect, Ford F Series Pick Up, Ford Fusion, and Lincoln MKS.
The Time Warner Cable “Relaxation Station” will enable Show attendees to recharge their batteries during their tour of the exhibit hall, plus catch that day’s sporting events.
Free childcare sponsored by Pekel Construction & Remodeling, Inc., is available for children 3-12, with toys, games, and licensed day care providers available to entertain children while parents browse the Show. In addition, children will have an opportunity to participate in a coloring contest, also sponsored by Pekel Construction & Remodeling, Inc., with winners in three age groups each receiving a $50.00 U.S. savings bond. The age groups for the contest are 3 – 5 years old, 6 – 9 years old, and 10 – 12 years old. Children will be able to color an official contest sheet that will be displayed in the childcare area during the Show. Winners will be selected and contacted after the Show.
The Show also announced that an interpreter for the deaf and hearing impaired will be available Thurs., Feb. 11, from 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., and on call for the rest of the Show for individuals requiring assistance for seminar presentations.
Cosponsored by the Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council, Inc., and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the 2010 Show will provide Milwaukee/NARI, the area’s leading home improvement and remodeling industry resource for more than 48 years, with the opportunity to have its members provide consumers with ideas on how to “Put a Little Love in Your Home,” the theme for the Show.
More than 300 exhibitors will fill over 700 booth spaces covering the entire exposition center and feature providers of thousands of home improvement products and services, including kitchens, decks, cabinets, windows, bathrooms, siding, lighting, landscaping, media rooms, wall covering, rec rooms, roofing, fireplaces, and more.
During the Show, educational demonstrations and seminars by home improvement experts and media celebrities will be held, including presentations by Paul James of “Gardening by the Yard” and Steve Whittle, presented by Bliffert Lumber and Hardware, of “Save My Bath,” both on HGTV and Sue Whitney, “The Junkmaster.” The American TV Kennedy Hahn Appliance Cooking Demonstration Stage will feature area chefs and national cooking celebrities, including Colleen Cleek, The Classy Gourmet and Season 5 “Hell’s Kitchen” contestant on FOX and Tre Wilcox, Season 3 “Top Chef” contestant on Bravo.
Hours on Thurs., Feb. 11, and Fri., Feb. 12, are 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.; Sat., Feb. 13, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.; and Sun., Feb. 14, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Admission is $6 in advance, $8 at the door on Thurs. and Fri., and $10 Sat. and Sun.
Tickets for seniors 60 and older are $5.00, with a special price of $4.00 at the door on Thurs., Feb. 11, for Senior Day sponsored by Callen Construction, Inc. Children 12 and younger are free and there is free childcare for ages 3 – 12 presented by Pekel Construction & Remodeling, Inc.
For more information, visit www.milwaukeenari.org or call 414-771-4071.
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Present Smoke on the Water 2!
- “Wish I Had a Troubadour”- A Concert For St. Pat’s Day with David HB Drake
- Two Weeks Remaining For Chance To Win $10,000 For Your Non-Profit
- Bayside Resident Hired by Selig Leasing, Inc.
- Senator Ron Johnson To Visit Granville BID 48 on Feb. 17
- BBB Tips for Jolly Holiday Shopping
- Lincoln Ladies 9 Hole Golf League
- Two Bayside Residents Among 458 Medical College Physicians on 2013-14 Best Doctors List
- Bayside Residents Elected to Froedtert Hospital Foundation Board of Directors
- "War On Women" is baseless Anti-Business nonsense