The YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee resident Camp Minikani is partnering with Ties Program-Family Homeland Journeys to offer the first adoptive family weekend retreat. The “Celebration of Nations” event will be held on June 4-6 at YMCA Camp Minikani, located in Hubertus, Wis. and will provide families the opportunity to interact with other adoptee families for a fun and meaningful weekend.
President Bill Clinton once said, “Perhaps there is no greater miracle than finding a loving home for a child who needs one." Today, 6 out of 10 Americans are personally affected by adoption. Many YMCA Camp Minikani staff, campers, groups and alumni have personal connections to adoption and have committed to building positive relationships with adoptive families through camp experiences and opportunities.
The “Celebration of Nations” retreat aims to do the following:
•Foster positive relationships between children, adults and families
•Encourage self esteem
•Build positive feelings about each family's international heritage
•Establish an appreciation of each other’s cultures
•Provide an opportunity to discuss adoption issues
In addition, families will have the opportunity to participate in camp activities and programs including: archery, boating, camp fires, the climbing wall, cultural activity booths, cultural wellness activities, family Olympics, free massages, guest speakers and discussions, jumping off the Minikani Tram-pop-oline, swimming and much more.
Registration is now open and the cost for the weekend is $350 for a family of four or $85 dollars per person. For additional information on the “Celebration of Nations” family camp weekend retreat, please contact (Erik Kennedy) at (262-251-9080 ext. 6403) or visit www.minikani.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shakespeare in Shorewood
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Join us for the Nicolet Golf Outing on July 11th
- Lunch and Edelweiss Boat Tour
- Jazz Pianist, Kuba Stankiewicz Performed at the Polish Center
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- BBB Names 2015 Business Ethics Award Winners
- Kohl’s Art Generation Family Sundays: Play on Words