On Wednesday night, July 1st, 135 people filled the River Club at Hubbard Park to participate in the kick-off of the membership drive to open the Open Book Coop by fall 2009.
Open Book will be a member launched operation, looking to raise $175,000 by September 1st, and the crowd was a good indication of the local enthusiasm for the idea.
That night 37 people signed up with many more taking membership applications. By the end of the week on July 3rd, nearly $10,000 in memberships were raised.
Through the summer the remainder will be raised through community networking on the internet and face to face, and with a series of house parties.
Open Book will be located in Shorewood, and will have 4,000 sq ft of retail space with about 400 sq ft dedicated to a coffee shop.
Many of the original Harry W. Schwartz staff will be working at Open Book. The store will provide full and part time employment for 15 people.
For more information about Open Book or to sign up as a member, go to www.openbookcoop.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- 22nd Annual Sheepshead Tournament - March 21st
- Dragonfly Meditation Studio Opens in Mequon
- 2015 Nicolet Rec. Dept. Free Throw Contest Results
- Black History Month, A Time to End Smoking and Save Lives
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Concordia University Creates New Position to Help Veterans Achieve Education Goals
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop