On Wednesday night, July 1st, 135 people filled the River Club at Hubbard Park to participate in the kick-off of the membership drive to open the Open Book Coop by fall 2009.
Open Book will be a member launched operation, looking to raise $175,000 by September 1st, and the crowd was a good indication of the local enthusiasm for the idea.
That night 37 people signed up with many more taking membership applications. By the end of the week on July 3rd, nearly $10,000 in memberships were raised.
Through the summer the remainder will be raised through community networking on the internet and face to face, and with a series of house parties.
Open Book will be located in Shorewood, and will have 4,000 sq ft of retail space with about 400 sq ft dedicated to a coffee shop.
Many of the original Harry W. Schwartz staff will be working at Open Book. The store will provide full and part time employment for 15 people.
For more information about Open Book or to sign up as a member, go to www.openbookcoop.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Register for the Rite-Hite Family YMCA Kids Club by August 12!
- Bayside Resident is Appointed Dean of the Alverno College School of Business
- Columbia St. Mary’s and Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Form Cardiothoracic Surgery Alliance
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Brain Injury Resource Center of Wisconsin, Inc.’s new informational commercial
- Post-Summer Polar Vortex, Return to the Beach and Check a Website for Conditions
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 2
- Milwaukee/NARI Offers Seven Tips for Spending Wisely on a Home Remodel - Part 1
- Angelic Bakehouse Needs Your Vote!
- Highlighted Volunteer Opportunities