Respect Our Waters will be at the Milwaukee Air & Water Show at the lakefront June 21 & 22, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. to give away pet waste bags, host a drawing for a rain barrel and educate residents on individual actions they can take to help improve area rivers and Lake Michigan. The group will also answer questions, provide information and give away Sparkles the Water Spaniel buttons.
“Everyone plays an important role in keeping our rivers and lakes clean and healthy. There are a number of simple and easy actions that help our waterways,” says Pat Marchese, co-chair of Respect Our Waters.
According to Marchese, residents should:
-Pick up pet waste.
-Leave grass clippings on the lawn.
-Use lawn fertilizer and chemicals sparingly.
-Inspect vehicles to make sure they’re not leaking oil or other fluids.
-Plant a rain garden and trees.
-Direct downspouts into rain barrels, the yard or garden instead of the sewer or driveway.
-Use a car wash or wash cars on the lawn.
“What many residents don’t realize is that anything that washes into stormsewers goes directly into our rivers and Lake Michigan,” explains Marchese. “That means whenever it rains, dog poop, lawn fertilizer, car fluids and any other debris on sidewalks, streets and parking lots gets deposited into our waterways.”
For more information, visit RespectOurWaters.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Missing Cat off Lake Dr
- SMOKIN' ACES & CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Registration For Flag Football Now Available
- Two Weeks Remaining For Chance To Win $10,000 For Your Non-Profit
- Whitefish Bay
- Knot Your Average Sailers
- Nicolet Recreation Department Recgram - Upcoming Programs
- CIGARMKE ANNOUNCES THEIR CIGARS UNDER THE STARS 5
- Breastfeeding Safely While Taking Medication for Anxiety and Depression