Special Olympics Wisconsin (SOWI) selected Molly Teitgen of Brown Deer as one of 62 athletes to represent Team Wisconsin at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games in Princeton, New Jersey on June 14-21, 2014. Wisconsin athletes will compete in athletics, aquatics, bocce, bowling, flag football, gymnastics, powerlifting and volleyball.
Teitgen attended Indian Hills Community College in Iowa and currently works as a teacher at a child care center. In 2003, SOWI awarded her as Female Athlete of the Year. Tietgen has previously competed in weightlifting at the Special Olympics World Games in Ireland. According to Teitgen, SOWI has changed her life because she has built confidence in herself and her abilities.
“Special Olympics has given me the motivation to become a leader,” she said. “[It’s taught me to] never give up and don’t be afraid to try new things.”
Teitgen will compete in volleyball and will be one of 90 delegates representing Team Wisconsin at the 2014 USA Games in New Jersey. Support Teitgen and her trip to the 2014 USA Games at www.SpecialOlympicsWisconsin.org/USAGames.
The 2014 USA Games will showcase the abilities of athletes with intellectual disabilities, promote the ideals of acceptance and inclusion through sport, and celebrate the transformative power of Special Olympics. A total of 3,500 athletes, 1,000 coaches and delegates, 10,000 volunteers and 70,000 spectators will attend.
Sports competition will be held at venues throughout Mercer County, New Jersey, including Princeton University, Rider University, The College of New Jersey, Mercer County Park and several area private schools. There will be ample opportunities for supporters across the state to show their spirit and join the team through volunteerism, donations and attendance. For more information, visit www.SpecialOlympicsWisconsin.org\USAGames.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shakespeare in Shorewood
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Join us for the Nicolet Golf Outing on July 11th
- Lunch and Edelweiss Boat Tour
- Jazz Pianist, Kuba Stankiewicz Performed at the Polish Center
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- BBB Names 2015 Business Ethics Award Winners
- Kohl’s Art Generation Family Sundays: Play on Words