Workshop Explores Natural Burial
Bayside – In-home care for the deceased and natural burial are the subject of an upcoming workshop sponsored by the Green Committee of Unitarian Church North, Mequon. The workshop, titled “Natural Burial: Returning to the Wisdom of Our Past,” will be held at Schlitz Audubon Nature Center, 1111 E. Brown Deer Rd., Bayside, on Saturday, March 22 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The public is invited to attend. The cost is $35(includes lunch.
“Caring for our deceased loved ones at home and having their bodies reclaimed by Earth in a natural way used to be the norm in this country, and still is in most parts of the world,” said John Hoff, workshop organizer. “In addition to the environmental, sustainability, and economic benefits, caring for a deceased loved one may be the last act of love but also the first big step toward healing.”
The workshop will include a screening of “A Family Undertaking” and presentations by:
Kevin Corrado, Natural Path Sanctuary Coordinator, Verona, WI, a nature preserve burial ground affiliated with the Farley Center for Peace, Justice and Sustainability;
David Brenner, Manager or Prairie Home Cemetery, a restored prairie and traditional cemetery in Waukesha;
Jeff Kleczka, Funeral Director of Prasser Kleczka Funeral Homes;
Margaret Brill, a trained volunteer for ritual planning and in-home care for the deceased.
To register, call Unitarian Church North, 262-375-3890 and mail a check, payable to Unitarian Church North Green Burial Workshop, to Unitarian Church North, 13800 N. Port Washington Rd., Mequon, WI 53097. For more information, visit http://www.ucnorth.org/action/green-committee.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leah Schiman will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Join the Fun at Mequon's Winter Wonderland
- Gingerbread Express – Memory Lane
- After School Storytimes at the North Shore Library
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Winter/Spring Registration Info
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive
- Br(OK)en Genius is Healing Communities Through Art
- Explore The Art in Horticulture at Holiday Folk Fair International
- Rotary Breakfast With Santa
- Glendale Seniors' Holiday Party