The new Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Volunteers for Veterans Program connects volunteers who are 55 and older with local partner agencies serving veterans and their families. Volunteer roles include delivering groceries to homebound veterans, serving meals, driving veterans to medical appointments, answering phone calls, leading group discussions, and more.
Thomas Burlowski, a Vietnam era veteran and volunteer driver, believes it’s important to give back to others who have served their country: “Veterans are our heroes, and we should take care of our heroes. I feel like I’m contributing to the community.” Thomas likes being a volunteer because he has fun in the company of fellow veterans: “I enjoy it immensely and the people I help are so friendly.”
Volunteer Al Marino delivers 15 pounds of groceries to to each of the five homebound veterans he serves every Tuesday. Of the people he serves, he says, “They are really grateful. I see the smiles on their faces when I deliver the food.” Al describes the need for the service: “Some people I deliver to are quite disabled. You can tell they don’t have a lot of money and can’t get to the food pantry, so I’m happy I’m here to help.”
Volunteer Jackie Frymark answers phone calls from veterans who have empty apartments and are in need of furniture and housewares. Those veterans are then provided with the needed items. “My favorite part of volunteering is getting calls from veterans that say ‘thank you, thank you, thank you!’ They had empty apartments and now they have a bed, sofa, kitchen table and more.” Jackie volunteers because “I’m paying back veterans for serving our country.”
For more information on the RSVP Volunteers for Veterans Program, contact Marie Honel, Program Coordinator, at (414) 220-8683 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Register for Camp at the Hills Today and save $$$!
- Shakespeare in Shorewood
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Join us for the Nicolet Golf Outing on July 11th
- Lunch and Edelweiss Boat Tour
- Jazz Pianist, Kuba Stankiewicz Performed at the Polish Center
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- BBB Names 2015 Business Ethics Award Winners