The Glendale Senior Citizen's Club will watch "42" in the clubroom on the lower level of Glen Hills Middle School, 2600 W. Mill Road, Glendale, at 1 p.m. Wednesday, September 25. The film tells the story of two men: Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) and Brooklyn Dodger General Manager Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford), who changed the game of baseball in 1946 with the signing of an African-American. The focus is on the 1947 Dodgers season in which Robinson faces unabashed racism and ultimately wins over fans and his teammates, paving the way for others to follow.
Rachel Robinson, the widow of Jackie Robinson, was very involved in the production. The movie earned more than any other baseball movie on its first weekend in release. Nonmembers are always welcome at club events. Call (414) 540-2100 with questions.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Concordia University Creates New Position to Help Veterans Achieve Education Goals
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Falcon Fun Fair 2015 at Brown Deer Elementary