The sounds of Central Asia are coming to Richard School, 5812 N. Santa Monica Blvd.March 22 at 7 p.m. with the Alash Ensemble of Tuva. The concert in the Great Hall is free, but donations are welcome.
Alash, based in the Republic of Tuva in Central Asia, has won numerous international awards in Tuvan throat singing, a technique which allows vocalists to sing multiple pitches at one time. Ensemble members also play a variety of Tuvan traditional instruments, contributing to an overall musical experience that a Washington Post review described as “absolutely stunning.”
The group performed at Richards last year, and has a hometown connection. Sean Quirk, the group’s manager translator now lives in Tuva, but grew up down the street from Richards.
The group’s current tour started in Boston during the February blizzard, made a stop at Carnegie Hall in New York and will be in in Milwaukee as part of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra’s Arts in the Classroom program.
The Richards concert is designed for children and families and will include short discussions of Tuva’s culture along with the music.
More information on Tuva and Alash is available at www.alashensemble.com.
Contact for Alash is Sean Quirk, at email@example.com, 414-520-3169.
Here’s a blog/review of last year’s concert.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Band Together Concert Fundraiser to feature UW-Madison Marching Band
- Shorewood Library Celebrates Seuss this Saturday
- Concordia University Creates New Position to Help Veterans Achieve Education Goals
- Glendale Seniors' 42nd Anniversary Party Coming Up
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Zymbiotics a New Local Company Making Fine Fermented Foods is Now Available at Outpost Coop
- Libertarians plan for 2016 by offering cross-party appeal.
- Inspired by Love of Their Country, Local Contractor Gifts Veteran Family New Furnace to Help Them through Harsh Winter
- Farmers Market and Local Harvest Breakfast Fundraiser to Support Family Farms
- Falcon Fun Fair 2015 at Brown Deer Elementary