There’s nothing more freakishly inspiring than the hereafter. Perhaps it’s the complete unknown that allows the mind to muse limitlessly. Fear is one response to the unearthly, complete creative and artistic expression is another, and the path chosen by the artists of Morbid Curiosities, an art show dedicated to the sublime beauty of the weird and worrisome.
This second annual Halloween inspired art show is simply a lot of fun for the artists and beholders of shadowy creativity.
Ceramics artist Rob Kostelnik instills life into visionary creatures of supernatural dimensions. His clay-forged minions colonize a space like an impish zoo of monstrous madness.
Photographer Ian Pritchard presents the world through an aperature of offbeat dark humor, proving it’s not so much what you see, but how you see it. His photos mingle the ordinary with the extraordinary in playful regard.
2-D artist James Steeno explores the ancient symbolisms of birds as winged liaisons of the mystic beyond.
Fiber artist Cara Bidwell adeptly stitches together rich textures and colorful fabrics into 2D creations and spooky-snuggly creatures suggesting a Dia de los Muertos festival of storybook magnitudes.
Jewelry artist Julie Paasch-Anderson beads and strings the supernatural into phantasmic wearable works of visionary art.
Opening artist reception is October 26, 2012 • 5-9pm at the James Steeno Gallery at 5700 W. Vliet Street, Milwaukee, located in Washington Heights. The exhibition is free and open to the public and runs through November 9, 2012. Free street side parking.
Visit on Saturday, October 27 from 10:30am-12:30pm to decorate a Halloween Mask or Pumpkin. Cost is $2 or donate a gently used children's book for the neighborhood Little Free Library. All supplies and materials will be provided. All ages and abilities welcome to participate.
See a preview video of Morbid Curiosities at:
James Steeno Gallery
5700 W. Vliet Street
Milwaukee, WI 53208
Facebook: James Steeno Gallery
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mark Travel Aids Milwaukee's Hungry
- Kick off the season with the Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll!
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- YOUNG BAYSIDE RESIDENT APPEARS IN FIRST STAGE'S RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Honors Barry Mandel With the “Building Milwaukee” Award
- Leah Schiman will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Join the Fun at Mequon's Winter Wonderland
- Gingerbread Express – Memory Lane