Brown Deer, WI – Lowe’s Charitable and Educational Foundation has awarded a $6,000 Toolbox for Education grant to Dean Elementary in Brown Deer for building a school garden. Dean Elementary is one of more than 450 schools or parent organizations to be awarded a Lowe’s Toolbox for Education grant for parent-initiated school improvement projects benefiting K-12 public education across the United States during the 2009-2010 school year.
Dean Elementary School will break ground on Wednesday, April 27th and Saturday, April 30th. Brown Deer Village’s local Lowe’s management team is donating their time and expertise to help install the garden. A mixture of parents and teachers created a garden committee over a year ago to envision and plan for a school garden to be used as a hand’s on learning tool for the students. “The garden will have a positive impact on our K4-4th Grade students as it will enable us to help develop children who have a broad understanding, curiosity, and respect for the natural world and human health. We believe the gardening program will strengthen school spirit and create a sense of accomplishment for all involved,” states the garden committee in their grant application.
The 30’x50’ garden plans include 12 raised beds for organic vegetable gardening, and a large compost bin. Around the outside perimeter of the fence, the plan will include a sensory garden along with native perennial flowers to act as a buffer from playground runoff and to create habitat for bees, butterflies and other beneficial insects.
“Through our Toolbox for Education grant program, Lowe’s recognizes parent-initiated efforts to enrich the lives of children in our communities,” said Larry D. Stone, chairman of Lowe’s Charitable and Educational Foundation. “By supporting schools like Dean Elementary we are contributing to a cause that’s important to our customers and employees, and we’re also helping to build a stronger foundation for the children who will be tomorrow’s employees, homeowners and community leaders.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shakespeare in Shorewood
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Join us for the Nicolet Golf Outing on July 11th
- Lunch and Edelweiss Boat Tour
- Jazz Pianist, Kuba Stankiewicz Performed at the Polish Center
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- BBB Names 2015 Business Ethics Award Winners
- Kohl’s Art Generation Family Sundays: Play on Words