Undisclosed Facts about the Nicolet Referendum
In the interest of full disclosure here are some facts from the Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction that the teachers union and Nicolet School Board are not telling residents:
FACT #1: Nicolet teachers are the highest paid public school teachers in Wisconsin. Their average salary and benefits for the 2009-2010 school year (latest available) was $103,300 per year. And that was before the School Board recently awarded them a 2% annual pay increase retroactive to 2009.
FACT #2: Nicolet has one of the most ideal teaching environments for teachers in the state. And yet Nicolet teachers were paid significantly more than their counterparts in similar districts, and $17,000 more than teachers in Milwaukee Public Schools, the most difficult teaching environment in Wisconsin.
FACT #3: The unions argue that Nicolet compensation is the highest in the state because they have more veteran teachers (average of 15.5 years local teaching experience). The fact is there are 57 school districts in Wisconsin that have a higher percentage of veteran teachers than Nicolet but whose teachers are compensated far less.
FACT #4: Not surprisingly, Nicolet’s teacher compensation is the largest expense in the Nicolet budget. Despite this fact, the School Board is not even looking at reductions in teacher salaries as a possible cost saving measure. In fact, on March 14 the School Board actually promised teachers their salaries won’t be touched in any future contract.
FACT # 5: The Legislative Fiscal Bureau said Nicolet is one of only 4 school districts in Southeast Wisconsin whose state aid will actually INCREASE under the new budget bill. But the School Board still wants residents to pay an additional $2,150,000 in school taxes each year for the next 5 years.
Is an increase in school taxes justified? You be the judge, vote on Tuesday, April 5.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Shakespeare in Shorewood
- HGTV’s House Hunters Returns to Southeastern Wisconsin to Feature Flat Rate Home Services’ Employee
- WAMI Award Winner Singer/Songwriter Nora Collins Announces Support for 2015 MECA Vest a K-9 Fest
- Milwaukee Non-profit Aiding Children in Foster Care Seeks Help
- Join us for the Nicolet Golf Outing on July 11th
- Lunch and Edelweiss Boat Tour
- Jazz Pianist, Kuba Stankiewicz Performed at the Polish Center
- American Cancer Society Seeks Teams for Relay For Life of Milwaukee on June 19
- BBB Names 2015 Business Ethics Award Winners
- Kohl’s Art Generation Family Sundays: Play on Words