Candle Fire Safety
The warm glow of candles can help set the mood for holiday celebrations, but did you know that a home fire caused by candles is reported in the United States every 34 minutes?
The majority of candle fires result from human error and negligence. Candle fires and the damage they can cause are preventable.
• If possible, avoid using lighted candles.
• If you must use candles, place them in sturdy holders.
• Keep candles away from children and pets.
• Extinguish candles after each use.
• Never leave burning candles unattended.
Learn what you can do to prevent a tragic candle fire from starting in your home at www.usfa.fema.gov/winter/.
The North Shore Fire Department (NSFD) would like to suggest flameless, battery operated candles, as a safe alternative to regular flame type candles. Flameless, battery operated candles, can be found at a many local stores in a variety of sizes and shapes. Please read, and follow, manufacturer instructions when utilizing these candles. A flameless candle, smoke alarm, or carbon monoxide alarm can be a gift of safety this holiday season and throughout the new year!
For questions, or additional, information regarding candle safety, or other fire safety issues, please contact the NSFD Public Education Office at email@example.com or 414-228-0292.
www.nsfire.org www.nfpa.org www.usfa.dhs.gov
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leah Schiman will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Join the Fun at Mequon's Winter Wonderland
- Gingerbread Express – Memory Lane
- After School Storytimes at the North Shore Library
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Winter/Spring Registration Info
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive
- Br(OK)en Genius is Healing Communities Through Art
- Explore The Art in Horticulture at Holiday Folk Fair International
- Rotary Breakfast With Santa
- Glendale Seniors' Holiday Party