NOW:53217:USA01012
http://widgets.journalinteractive.com/cache/JIResponseCacher.ashx?duration=5&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.wp.myweather.net%2FeWxII%2F%3Fdata%3D*USA01012
34°
H 36° L 28°
Cloudy | 18MPH

Candle Safety

Dec. 13, 2010

Candle Fire Safety

 

The warm glow of candles can help set the mood for holiday celebrations, but did you know that a home fire caused by candles is reported in the United States every 34 minutes?

 

The majority of candle fires result from human error and negligence. Candle fires and the damage they can cause are preventable.

 

• If possible, avoid using lighted candles.

• If you must use candles, place them in sturdy holders.

• Keep candles away from children and pets.

• Extinguish candles after each use.

• Never leave burning candles unattended.

 

Learn what you can do to prevent a tragic candle fire from starting in your home at www.usfa.fema.gov/winter/.

 

The North Shore Fire Department (NSFD) would like to suggest flameless, battery operated candles, as a safe alternative to regular flame type candles. Flameless, battery operated candles, can be found at a many local stores in a variety of sizes and shapes. Please read, and follow, manufacturer instructions when utilizing these candles. A flameless candle, smoke alarm, or carbon monoxide alarm can be a gift of safety this holiday season and throughout the new year!

 

For questions, or additional, information regarding candle safety, or other fire safety issues, please contact the NSFD Public Education Office at jglanz@nsfire.org or 414-228-0292.

 

www.nsfire.org www.nfpa.org www.usfa.dhs.gov

 

 

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Suburban News Roundup

E-mail Newsletter

Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.


Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter
Get the Newsletter!

Login or Register to manage all your newsletter preferences.

Community Watch

» North Shore couple probed for collecting state aid 3/27

» Whitefish Bay School Board: Radio station would be better suited for community use 3/27

» DSW shoe store opens in Mequon 3/27

» Crews clear crash that closed right lane of NB I-43 at Brown Deer Road Updated:  3/27

» West Allis-West Milwaukee taps Shorewood superintendent for top spot 3/27

» Burglary suspects flee police in Brown Deer, crash car in Whitefish Bay 3/25

» Whitefish Bay hires John Edlebeck as public works director 3/25

» Glendale mayoral candidates will debate city issues tonight 3/24

» Initial Reaction Podcast: Is Diamond Stone the greatest ever? 3/24

» The Sprint Episode Three: WIAA state basketball tournament retrospective 3/23

» Whitefish Bay native finishes 46th in Iditarod 3/23

» New bus route running through Brown Deer 3/23

» Proud Brown Deer boys basketbal team claims second state title 3/21

» Brown Deer boys basketball team heads back to state title game 3/20

» Dominican overwhelms Regis in state semifinal 3/19

» Truck being hauled by military convoy strikes overpass in Mequon 3/18

» Atwater Park is getting new playground equipment this year 3/17

» Mequon police identify woman killed in grocery lot as driver's wife 3/17

» Mequon-Thiensville hires new bus company 3/17

» Pedestrian killed by elderly driver in Sendik's parking lot 3/16

» Woman, 85, killed by vehicle at Mequon Sendik's store 3/16

» Homestead High School reverses decision to restructure final exams 3/16

» The Sprint Episode Two: local teams look to defend state basketball titles this week 3/16

» Marshalls opens in Mequon on March 26 3/13

» Germantown boys outlast Homestead, 50-42, in sectional semifinal 3/13

View All Posts Got a tip? Welcome rss

Advertisement

Advertisement

Local Business Directory

CONNECT