Author, Dennis McCann will be at the Brown Deer Public Library (5600 W. Bradley Rd.) to discuss his newest book, Badger Boneyards: the Eternal Rest of the Story on Monday evening, November 29th, 2010. The free program requires no advance registration and begins at 7:00 p.m. in the Library’s Community Room.
McCann, a former columnist for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, whose interests include Wisconsin history, travel and culture, combines the three in his latest book on Wisconsin cemeteries and the famous and infamous buried therein.
“From the Ornate Tombs of Milwaukee beer baron Frederick Pabst to miniscule ancestral plots, Wisconsin cemeteries house memories of war, families, tragedy, and community. Badger Boneyards: the Eternal Rest of the Story unearths the intriguing and often long-forgotten histories of more than thirty Wisconsinites past, from the hard-scrabble life of an old-time cemetery man to the many husbands of a nineteenth-century charmer. Football great John Heisman is buried here, as is the state's smallest man, a woman whose tombstone names her murderer, and the boy who would not tell a lie and paid the price. Yet even in a graveyard, peace proves hard to come by: Wisconsin's Native American tribes have fought for undisturbed grounds and proper burial, and the inhabitants of a Bayfield cemetery were unearthed by a raging flood. Longtime Milwaukee Journal Sentinel columnist Dennis McCann seeks out the stories, both tranquil and turbulent, in Wisconsin's cities of the dead.” (Book Jacket.)
Join us for what should be a very interesting discussion. Copies of the book will be available for sale and signing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- How to Choose a Trustworthy Plumber
- Wisonsin Panthers Basketball
- Cornerstone Community Bank to Host FREE Shred Events
- Impact Networking is Great Rated! By Employees for 2-Years in Row
- Stritch Community Orchestra seeks additional musicians
- PURSE AUCTION FEATURES MORE THAN HANDBAGS
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Missing Cat off Lake Dr
- SMOKIN' ACES & CIGARMKE PRESENT THE ROOF IS ON FIRE
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Registration For Flag Football Now Available