Wisconsin Myositis Awareness Walk to be held September 19th
Myositis is a rare muscle disorder that causes swelling and loss of muscle tissue, accompanied by muscle weakness and pain, fatigue, difficulty climbing stairs or standing up, and even difficulty swallowing. Only 30,000 Americans have been diagnosed and there is no known cure.
Kris Barger, a resident of Bayside, is affected by myositis, but she is not about to let it muscle her over. Kris finds solace as a member of the WI Myositis KIT Group, a support group for “Keeping in Touch” with the mere 24 people in Wisconsin affected by one of four types of Myositis and on Sunday, September 19th, Kris, with her husband Bill and children Emma and Jacob, and the WI Myositis KIT Group will host Wisconsin’s first Myositis Awareness Walk at Nicolet High School from 2-4 p.m. This is a fun, casual run/walk without a specific distance, making it an event anyone can participate in. At this groundbreaking event, the total number of laps/miles completed as a group will be tallied at the end, and become the goal to break at next year’s event.
Join in the fun for just $5 per person with a maximum cost per family of $25. Children’s games will be held on the infield as well as a raffle including Badger football tickets and a Bart Starr autographed football. Pre-registration is not required but much appreciated. To sign up in advance, please contact Kris Barger at 414-228-0971 or email Kris at firstname.lastname@example.org for a registration form.
In support of the WI Myositis KIT Group and Myositis Awareness, Mayor Barrett has signed a proclamation declaring September 21st as Myositis Awareness Day in Milwaukee. Kris will present the proclamation to Bob Goldberg, the Executive Director of The Myositis Association at the walk on September 19th.
For more information, or to support myositis research and awareness, please visit www.myositis.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Mark Travel Aids Milwaukee's Hungry
- Kick off the season with the Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll!
- WindSync "Simple Gifts: A Holiday Sampler"
- YOUNG BAYSIDE RESIDENT APPEARS IN FIRST STAGE'S RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Milwaukee/NARI Home Improvement Council Honors Barry Mandel With the “Building Milwaukee” Award
- Leah Schiman will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol
- Join the Fun at Mequon's Winter Wonderland
- Gingerbread Express – Memory Lane