After 23 years, one state title, nine conference crowns and over 500 career wins, Nicolet baseball coach Dick Sykes has announced his retirement.
Sykes said that he wanted to be able to see his youngest son Alex participate in high school sports, which Sykes said he was unable to do with his other children. He said he will also be retiring from teaching at the end of the school year.
He led Nicolet to four state tournament berths including a WIAA state title in 1998. He was also elected into the Wisconsin Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame a few years ago.
"I leave with no regrets, I accomplished everything I wanted to do while coaching," he said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports wrapups: March 4
- Sports wrapups: Feb. 25
- Nicolet wrestler Kalloch not to be denied, earns state berth
- Sports wrapups: Feb. 18
- Nicolet sending seven entries to state boys swim meet
- Signing day a success big and small all over the North Shore
- Sports wrapups: Feb. 11
- Homestead wrestlers show character in claiming four NSC titles
- Bay boys continue to roll, overpower young Nicolet squad
- Bay boys hoops team gets defensive in overpowering Nicolet, 62-26