Bayside — A house fire in Bayside destroyed a car and caused an estimated $100,000 in damages Friday to a home at 8869 N. Iroquois Road.
According to a North Shore Fire Department news release:
A neighbor called to report the fire at 12:45 p.m. Friday. Arriving firefighters found a fire in a breezeway connecting the home and garage. A strong wind was driving the flames toward the home and into the garage.
With a determined attack, the firefighters brought the blaze under control and extinguished it. Several area fire departments assisted NSFD on-scene and with later calls.
A subsequent investigation found extensive fire damage to the breezeway, garage and kitchen. A car in the the garage was destroyed, and overall property damage is estimated at $100,000. No one was injured in the fire.
Though the cause of the fire is still under investigation, Assistant Fire Chief Andre Harris said Monday, preliminary reports suggest a discarded cigarette may have started a fire in the breezeway which was fanned and spread by the strong winds.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bayside public works facility gets $2 million renovation
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- Traveling beer garden to visit Doctors Park
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015