Glendale-River Hills must make cuts to balance budget
Staffing reductions planned in district
Glendale — The Glendale-River Hills School Board is poised to vote on a $14 million budget that reflects cuts of $700,000 in spending.
District Administrator Larry Smalley said the district has not settled employee contracts yet but currently the budget calls for the following:
• reducing the librarian positions by 0.5, to one full-time position. That person will work between the libraries in the two school buildings, saving $48,500;
• reducing most paraprofessionals to 0.75 FTE, thereby trimming benefits from full time to part time. Paraprofessionals will work six hours vs. the current 6.5 hours a day, a savings of $69,000;
• reducing elementary guidance positions from 2.0 to 1.5 FTE, a savings of $35,000;
• reducing special education teachers from 14 to 13.5 FTE, a savings of $30,000, done at the request of a special education teacher desiring a half-time position for the coming year;
• reducing the custodial staff from 6.6 FTEs to 6, a savings of $34,500;
• and eliminating one 0.72 FTE special education paraprofessional, a savings of $17,500.
Smalley said some increases in revenue will also reduce the deficit:
• an increase in Open Enrollment of $71,500;
• an increase in retirement savings of $141,000;
• and revenue limits increase of $60,000.
The district will also share the services of Sue Doyle with Maple Dale-Indian Hill School District.
"She will become the special education director for both districts," Smalley said.
Shared services will account for about $60,000 in savings for the district.
In addition, Smalley said the proposed budget will allow the district to hire a teacher to a new section of fourth grade and a 0.3 FTE gifted and talented teacher.
The budget is scheduled for adoption June 16, with the annual meeting Aug. 18.
- Mary Buckley
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: October 30, 2014
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 23 Voter's Guide
- North Shore Police Reports: October 23, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 9, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 2, 2012
- North Shore Police Reports: September 25, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014