Bayside - Bayside will seek state funding to help cover the cost of urban forestry management activities in 2013.
The Village Board on Sept. 20 adopted a resolution authorizing the village manager to apply for an urban forestry grant through the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
The village is requesting $21,250, half of anticipated project costs, for urban forestry management activities, specifically new tree planting, emerald ash borer management, and any necessary contracting work, Village Manager Andy Pederson said.
Pederson said the village applies for the grant each year and has received funding in previous years.
According to a memo summarizing the funding request, the project will include gathering tree inventory data - including GPS points, tree attributes, location details and future tree planting locations - and then using the data to develop a tree condition rating system and maintain information on pruning and removal needs, species composition and site attributes.
Funds also would be used to expand the village's tree planting activities and bring back its Adopt-A-Tree program, identify emerald ash borer and locate and remove ash trees as necessary, according to the memo.
The last village tree inventory was conducted in 2010. The village currently has about 700 ash trees and 4,900 total trees in public right of way, Pederson said.
In addition to the urban forestry grant application, the board also adopted resolutions authorizing the village to apply for Department of Natural Resources recycling and recycling efficiency incentive grants to assist with operating its recycling program, for which 2013 costs are estimated at $170,500.
- Julie Becker
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 9, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 2, 2012
- North Shore Police Reports: September 25, 2014
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing