Shorewood - Atwater Beach will have lifeguards this summer, courtesy of Milwaukee County. The Village Board voted Monday to authorize a budget of approximately $10,000 for nine weeks of lifeguard service.
The tentative start date is June 16 and the tentative end date of the service is Aug. 18. The village received two separate service options for lifeguard staffing from Milwaukee County, and ended up going with a compromise of work hours and cost. Lifeguards will be on duty from 11 a.m. through 4 p.m., seven days a week.
"There will be a large block of time where parents will know there's a lifeguard," Trustee Michael Maher said.
The original cost for the lifeguards was approximately $16,000, but the village has $6,000 left over from last year as a result of beach closings, bringing the total cost down.
Trustees and Friends of Atwater Beach members expressed interest in a later end date for the lifeguard service, which is currently set for Aug. 18 because a majority of lifeguards are college students who head back to campus mid-month.
"If we can find the money and (Milwaukee) can find the extra work, we'll do it," said Village Manager Chris Swartz.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- Traveling beer garden to visit Doctors Park
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 7, 2015