With summer upon us, the Mequon Police Department anticipates a busy season of recreational trail, nature preserve, and waterway use. To help ensure safety and enjoyment for all, the Mequon Police Department staffs both Boat and Bicycle Patrol Units. While the Boat Patrol Unit operates solely on the Milwaukee River, the Bicycle Patrol Unit can be found in various nature preserves, city parks, and on the Interurban Trail. Both of these units are employed to enhance safety, promote community-police interaction, and assist outdoor enthusiasts in any way necessary. Boaters, trail users, and park goers should all anticipate seeing Mequon police officers performing a wide array of duties in different recreational arenas.
While enjoying the variety of adventures that Mequon has to offer, please remember the following safety tips:
· It is safest to always wear an approved life vest while boating
· A bicycle helmet and highly visible colors are strongly recommended when cycling
· Be courteous toward other people you may encounter
· Cyclists must obey all stop signs and traffic signals
· Be aware of your surroundings at all times
· Do not leave valuable items unattended outside or visible in your vehicle
· Report any suspicious activity immediately by calling 911
Through a strong community-police partnership, we can all succeed in having yet another fun and safe summer outdoors.