Alamelu Vairavan, a Whitefish Bay resident, is an author and culinary instructor. Alamelu has a passion for educating the public about the use of spices and legumes in preparing healthy and tasty foods. She is also interested in educating the public about the growing research that points to the enormous health benefits of spices in preventing many diseases. Her mission is to enrich people's culinary experience and to inspire them to discover that cooking and sharing healthful foods can be an especially joyful experience.
Visit Alamelu's web site, CurryOnWheels.com.
“Healthful Indian Flavors with Alamelu”
TV Series Begins: Jan. 7th, 2012 Saturday
13 (1/2 hour) shows
Saturdays at 12:30 p.m. on channel 10.1
Repeats Sundays at 2 p.m. on channel 36.1
Fridays at 6 p.m. on channel 10.1.
For more Info: www.curryonwheels.com
In this first episode, please join me as I prepare the following aromatic and flavorful dishes:
Lemon Rice, Butternut Squash Masala, Spice-Rubbed Seared Salmon!
I am excited about the upcoming TV series on MPTV. I believe it is a timely series that will help people discover easy-to-prepare, delicious healthful dishes. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Looking back, the year 2011 was a remarkable year for me in my culinary journey!
- My first TV series “Healthful Indian Flavors with Alamelu” originally aired on MPTV in 2010 was picked up by other Public Television stations around the country. The response I received from viewers across the country was most encouraging and inspiring!
- Contributing some recipes to “Healing Spices” by Dr. Bharat Aggarwal’s, book published in Jan. 2011, was an honorable experience for me. Dr. Aggarwal is a cancer research scientist at MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas.
- My new book “Chettinad Kitchen” was published in India, Jan. 2011 (Tata-Westland; New Delhi)
- I was invited to record a second (this time 13 part) series of my TV program, “Healthful Indian Flavors with Alamelu” by MPTV. A new feature of the second season of my TV series was the contribution of a Registered Dietitian, Margaret Pfeiffer through her comments on the nutritional aspects of the foods I prepared in my shows. The recoding experience in the Summer and Fall of 2011 was hard work but rewarding and exciting!
- As in previous years, I continued to present well-received cooking events at the Annual Kohler Food and Wine Experience and the Dine and Wine Wisconsin event in Milwaukee
Now, looking ahead to 2012, I feel energized to promote my passion in healthful cooking to the public. Have a great, productive, healthy New Year!